Visit Us Today
During the transition to residential care, it’s common for seniors to worry about losing contact with loved ones, but you can rest assured that when you or your relatives join our community, we will welcome your whole family into ours.
We are open for visitation. Our priority is always to protect the health of our residents, and we therefore diligently follow the guidance of NYSDOH, CDC and CMS. However, we understand that for families with a loved one in residential nursing care, the pandemic has proven to be particularly tough.
Please see the updated guidance on * Visitor Testing issued by The Department of Health as per the Governor on how to visit Chapin Home safely on the Visitation page.
* Visitor Testing (as of 1/12/2022)
- All nursing homes must verify that visitors have received a negative SARS-CoV-2 test result one day prior to visitation for antigen tests and two days prior to visitation for NAAT (e.g., PCR) tests.
- Chapin Home is unable to conduct onsite testing of Visitors at this time.
- Chapin Home will be providing self-administered test kits to visitors who are unable to test outside the facility.
- For visitors who visit for multiple days, including a visitor who comes every day, proof of negative testing is required as often as feasible, at a minimum every third day (meaning at a minimum testing is required on day 1, day 4, day 7, and so on).
Suggested Visiting Hours
10 a.m. to 8 p.m. are the suggested visiting hours. Visitors can work with our Social Work department to arrange for visiting outside this time frame. Please contact 718-739-2523 x2019 to reach the Social Work department.
- There are Vending Machines located on the ground floor (Unavailable at this time)
- Purchase lunch or dinner from our cafeteria located on the ground floor (Unavailable at this time)
- Free wifi – inquire with the Recreation Department for the password
- Device available for FaceTime/Zoom if needed or required to connect with Loved ones unable to visit. (see Recreation Department)
From New York City:
- Take the Grand Central Parkway to Parsons Boulevard, exit 16
- follow the Service Road to 164th Street
- make a right, two blocks to Chapin Parkway, (traffic light) make a left
- Chapin Home is located at the top of the hill
From Long Island:
- Grand Central Parkway West to 168th Street Exit 17
- take the Service Road to 164th Street, make a left
- go two blocks south of Chapin Parkway
- make a left on Chapin Parkway to top of the hill
- Independent Line Hillside/Parsons stop
- Take Q65 Flushing bound (north) to 164th street and Chapin Parkway
- Walk up hill to nursing home
- #7 IRT or LIRR to Main Street
- Take Q65 Jamaica bound (South) to 84th Avenue and 164th street
- Walk up hill to nursing home
- “R” or “F” train on Independent Line to Parsons Boulevard Station at Hillside Avenue
- Take Q65 to Chapin Parkway
- Walk up Hill to nursing home
- Chapin Home is located on Chapin Parkway & 164th Street, Jamaica, two blocks south of the Grand Central Parkway.
Visiting During the Pandemic
Throughout the pandemic, Chapin Home has constantly worked to help families maintain close contact with their loved one, remaining open for in-person visitation whenever it has been possible and safe to do so. If in-person visitation is not available, we are eager to help our residents video chat with loved ones via Facetime or Zoom – because whatever the public health situation, we understand the vital importance of family support.
As the COVID-19 outlook develops and changes, we are committed to keeping our families up to date on current policies, ensuring residents can remain close to their loved ones – whether this be in person or digitally. Keeping our residents well connected to family members and friends will always be a key priority for us at Chapin Home, and the events of the past year have only strengthened this ethos.
Click the button below for more details on scheduling a visit during the pandemic.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Is there an age restriction for visiting at Chapin Home?
A: Any on-site visiting has an age restriction. Children under 16 can visit with an adult 18 years of age or older.
Q: Is there parking available on site for visits?
A: We have limited parking on-site. If available 1 vehicle per family will be allowed to park in our front parking lot located to the right of our entrance. Please announce yourself when you buzz in. Let security know your name, how many people in the vehicle and the resident and time of your appointment.
Q: Do I have to wear a Mask?
A: Visitors will not be allowed in Chapin Home grounds without a face covering. Fabric or Surgical masks are acceptable. Masks must be worn at all times. Mask must cover nose and mouth.
Q: What is Chapin Home’s policy on Social Distancing?
A: All staff, residents, visitors at Chapin Home must follow stringent Social Distancing rules. We have signage around the area reminding you, as well as markers on the ground. Anyone found to be intentionally disregarding this rule will be asked to leave the premises. Exception would be families who come together and are visiting together. Please be conscious of other family members and follow ground markers and arrows to maintain appropriate distance.
Q: Can I bring food or drinks to my visit?
A: The DOH guidance is no food or drinks during visits. You are welcome to leave food or drinks for your loved one at the security desk area. We will be sure to get this treat to your loved one after the visit.
Q: Can I bring a gift/flowers/other items?
A: We know that family and friends love to give and bring gifts, flowers and other items for their friend and loved one. Please feel free to leave all items at the front desk and they will be delivered to your loved one following the visit.
Q: Can I schedule a video chat with my loved one?
A: Our recreation staff can coordinate weekly chats between you and your loved one. To schedule your video chat time slot apply for a video visit here: ADD LINK TO WEBSITE PAGE HERE. Or email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org. Our staff will get back to you to set up your virtual visit.
Q: How do I schedule an In-Person Visit at Chapin Home?
A: In-Person visits will take place on Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Each resident can currently request (1) In-Person visit weekly. Please visit our website page for In-Person Visits (hyperlink) to review these guidelines and schedule a visit.
Q: How many people can visit during an In-Person Visit?
A: Each In-Person visit can have up to 2 visitors. All visitors must read the visiting guidelines and sign that they have read and understand their content. Please go to (link to In-Person page) for more detailed information and to sign up for a visit.
Q: Is there any reason my visiting at Chapin Home may be cancelled?
A: In an effort to always promote health and safety, and in accordance with CDC and NYSDOH guidelines Chapin Home reserves the right to suspend, restrict or restructure the Visitation Policies and Procedures at any time.
Q: What if I have a question about my loved one that does not have to do with Visiting at Chapin Home?
A: Please feel free to reach out to our Social Work Team and our Nursing Team to get assistance with addressing any non-visiting issues.